20 October, 2010 by ballmer
Raymond Fire Chief Les Hornung commented on the incident - "Fire prevention is one of our most important jobs, and we have done our job!"
Watch Channel 8, Channel 10/11, and Lincoln Journal Star tonight for complete news story.
1011 News Story - 1011 News Story
Channel 8 Interview and Story - KLKN Interview Story
Raymond Fire Department Press Release – 10-20-10 @ 1300 Hours.
This morning at 10:40 AM (10/20/2010), members of the Raymond Fire Department responded to a residence on a report of a stove fire. Upon location, the fire had already been put out by the owner of the home. Deanna Howell of Raymond, NE is the owner of the home at 17501 NW 40th Street.
On October 3rd, 2010 the Raymond Fire Department hosted an open house at the fire station in light of Fire Prevention Week. The goal of the open house was to inform the public of fire prevention and what to do in case of a fire, etc. Numerous vendors and demonstrations took place during the event and one in particular, was a kitchen fire booth presented by the St. Elizabeth’s burn unit.
It just so happened that Deanna Howell came to the open house because her and her husband just recently moved to Raymond. She visited the kitchen fire booth and learned how to put out grease and kitchen fires.
Upon location, firefighters from the Raymond Fire Department learned from Mrs. Howell that the “only reason I knew how to put out the fire was because I remembered learning about it at your open house” she went on to say that, “I learned to take all of the oxygen away from the fire, and quickly put this large lid over the fire.”
She successfully contained the fire before it could damage her home and put her children at risk, who were home at the time.
It is because of stories like this, that we put together open houses for the public to teach them what to do in case of a fire.
Les Hornung, Raymond Fire Chief states, “This shows that we, as a fire department, have done our job. We have taught the public Fire Prevention, our most important job.” “…and it worked!”